Saturday, February 23, 2013

Lime Pie

This week, because it's still so warm (min 20, max 30ºC every day; not hot, just oddly, constantly warm) I went with a pie that would be eaten cool. Ever since I made the Lemon Meringue Pie I wanted to try a lime-based pie.

It's the first time I've made a crust with biscuits and I think it worked out pretty well. I prefer pastry though :-)

It's a "Key Lime Pie" recipe, but the limes we get in the stores here are not Key limes.

Recipe by Christine Sheppard, Fresh Living July 2005, Page 35.


Ingredients

  • 200g wheatmeal or Granita biscuits
  • ¼ cup ground almonds
  • 1 tbs caster sugar
  • 100g butter, melted
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 395g can condensed milk
  • ⅔ cup cream
  • Finely grated rind and juice of 4 limes

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Line base of a 20cm springform tin with baking paper.
  2. Process biscuits until fine crumbs. Add almonds, sugar and butter, process until combined. Press mixture firmly into the base and 3cm up sides of tin. Refrigerate.
  3. Whisk eggs, milk, cream, lime rind and juice until smooth. Pour into biscuit crust.
  4. Place on tray and bake for 40-45 mins or until set. Cool. Serve with extra lime slices.

I forgot to include the sugar in the crust. I don't think it needed it. Certainly the sweetest tooth in the house (my daughter, though I come a pretty close second) didn't complain.

I think I preferred the lemon meringue pie filling texture to this pie. I reckon I'll try that recipe with limes.

No comments:

Post a Comment